Wikipedia Sarch Link

Search results

Sunday, January 15, 2012

COMPANIONSHIP – A PERSONAL VIEWPOINT

This was intended to be follow-up comment to “What Really Is Love”, but the content updated 9/11/2012) necessitated that it be a stand-alone posting. With that backdrop, what are the important qualities to look for in a prospective companion? I cannot speak for everyone as the title suggests, but for myself personally, the following qualities stand out:
Pratt Acceptance Letter of 9/11/1980
    A special (or unique) person, but how is special uniquely defined. The developments in my life that resulted in drawing this conclusion began in a small town in Barbados in the early 1960’s. These events eventually resulting in my traveling to the USA on study leave on March 2, 1978 to further my studies. The pivotal event for me was the decision of my late mother to oppose the expansion of our family grocery business (see A Tribute To My Late Mother). That decision: 1) eventually led to the closure of the business and 2) ultimately to my decision to further my studies in the USA (approximately 3000 miles away). Finding a companion was not a priority but completing my studies instead with limited outside distractions. I was well on my way to achieving this objective after being acccepted and enrolling at Pratt (see letter of acceptance below), until my junior semester at Pratt, when (it just so happened that I had
    the heaviest course load I had ever attempted – 19 credits), and the results are depicted in grades obtained, they were disastrous (see Attendance Grades below).
                                                                      Pratt Attendance Grades

    How we deal with difficulties really is a true test of our personality traits and recognizing that I was at a crossroads and that a major re-examination was needed, resulted in: 1) recognizing what I had allowed to distract me from my main goal, 2) the elimination of the distraction, and 3) buckling down, and salvaging the Semester. (I refer to those grades as the scars, which remind me what can take place when your eyes are taken off the immediate goal). Having learned from this costly Lesson, (see A Virtual Society for comparison of courses taken from School memorabilia with above Transcript) I completed my senior year in the fall of 1981 as planned, (after going through summer school), and achieving just about the same grade point as in my freshman semester. Plans rarely go according to how we envision them to, but for me, I am concluding that the individual who shares my vision, and objectives and who was over 3000 miles away from my birthplace, such that the devlopments, which led to our paths crossing are clearly recognizable; and are typified by the following coincidences, a speific Numbered Check (see ARBITRARY ACTION, OR IS IT? ) and a shared Rose in our lives of sorts as well as a close familial name (see A TRIBUTE TO MY LATE MOTHER). 
    These developments are what in my opinion, makes a highly reliable individual, a uniqeuly special (lady) indeed.

    Someone who has traditional values, but still willing to take worthwhile risks even if it requires a major overhaul.

    An individual who has remarkable professional accomplishments.

    Finally, the person must be unpretentious and not afraid to reveal appropriate glimpses of her thought-processes as warranted, when the need exists, in spite of the opinions of others.
THESE QUALITIES ARE WHAT WORKS FOR ME, AND WHILE EVERY SITUATION IS UNIQUE, IN MY OPINION THEY ARE THE BUILDING BLOCKS ON, WHICH THE OTHER BONDS CAN DEVELOP AND GROW.
 
 

No comments: